Estate & Letting Agents

Information For Landlords

At Samuel King we have a large data base of tenants (private and companies) who are presently looking for properties which continues to grow. We also receive recommendations from tenants who presently rent through us who have friends or relatives who are also looking SPECIFICALLY TO LET THROUGH US, due to the level of service we offer.

Based on this we are the quickest at finding tenants and continually secure the best rents possible in our area breaking the trend each time as opposed to others.

Instruct us

And leave the rest to us. We manage the process smoothly from start to finish with regular updates. We have a lettings team to make sure things are carried out professionally and in the shortest period of time SO THERE IS NO UNNECESSARY LOST RENT TO YOU. We advertise on recognised major property portal such as Rightmove and Zoopla. We are located in Canning Town directly facing Barking and within a 3 minute walk of Canning Town Station allowing us to increase our applicant data base with excellent walk in applicants. Our referencing is extensive (please refer to the tenant section) but we also take into account how a tenant come across to us in general.

Regulations For Landlords
Energy Performance Certificates (EPC's
Introduction Only Service
Rent Collection
Full Management
Landlords Consent
Marketing Your Property
Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement
Tenancy Deposit Scheme
Notice Period
Overseas Landlords/Taxation
The Rent
Contents Under Hire Purchase
Contractors/Recommended Tradesmen
Landlords Fees

Newham Landlord Licences


Regulations for Landlords

Samuel King have produced the following summary of the legal responsibilities for landlords.

The Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998

These regulations require the landlord of a property where there is a gas fire or other gas appliance:
  • To ensure that the appliance is maintained in a safe condition to prevent risk of injury to any person.
  • To ensure that the appliance is checked and that an appropriate certificate is issued for safety at intervals of not more than 12 months by an approved person, i.e. a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to carry out domestic work.
  • To ensure a current Safety Certificate must be available for any Tenant prior to the taking occupation of a property.The tenancy must not commence without the appropriate certificate.
Failure to comply with these regulations may lead to prosecution with penalties of imprisonment and fines up to £5,000.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

These regulations require the landlord to ensure that the earthing and insulation of all electrical appliances in the property are safe. Cabling, fuses and plugs should also be inspected and replaced with the correct rating for that particular appliance where necessary. Other legislation covering electrical installations is currently in force and in order to avoid prosecution, we recommend that all electrical appliances in let properties are regularly checked and serviced.

Failure to comply with these regulations may lead to prosecution with penalties of imprisonment and fines up to £5,000.

The Building Regulations 1991

These regulations require that all properties built since June 1992 must be fitted with mains-operated interlinked smoke detectors/ alarms on each floor. Properties built before that date do not have a statutory requirement but we recommended that you do install smoke alarms in your property. If works have been carried out or are due to carried out please contact your local authority for guidance.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993.

The above regulations were amended in 1993 and have set new levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture and furnishings. It is now an offence to "supply" in the course of a business any furniture, which does not comply with the regulations This includes supplying furniture as part of a let residential property. We understand that it does not strictly apply to a Landlord letting his own home for a "temporary" period and not in the course of a business. However, it does not apply to Landlords letting a "second property" or any other letting as an investment.

The regulations apply to: sofas, bedheads, childrens furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions and pillows, stretch or loose covers for furniture and other similar items.

The regulations do not apply to: curtains, carpets, bed-clothes (including duvets) and mattress covers.

The information below is a summary of the implications of the above regulations and should be read in conjunction with the official guide from the D.T.I.

All property let for the first time since 1st March 1993 must contain furniture that complies with the new regulations.

Any additional or replacement furniture supplied since 1st March 1993 must comply with the regulations.

All furniture manufactured before 1st January 1950 is not covered by the regulations as defective inflammable materials were not used prior to that date.

Any furniture manufactured after March 1990 is likely to comply but if the appropriate labels are not on the furniture, compliance is in doubt and checks should be made with the manufacturer. Failure to comply with these regulations may lead to prosecution with penalties of imprisonment and fines up to £5,000.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's)

Since April 2006 it is a legal requirement that where a property is considered a House in Multiple Occupation, it has been registered as such with the Local Authority, and that it complies with all the current regulations. The Landlord must be Licensed and it is a criminal Offence to offer such a property for occupation, where the Landlord does not have the appropriate Licence.

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005

The above Order came into force on 1st October 2006, giving obligations with regard to HMOs. Where a property is an HMO, it must at least have mains linked smoke detectors in the common parts (ie. hallways) and fire blankets and fire extinguishers in the kitchen. Depending on the age and character of the property, further alterations may be required.

Although currently the above order applies to HMOs only, we would recommend that all our clients properties are fitted with mains linked smoke detectors with fire blankets and fire extinguishers in the kitchen.

Disability Discrimination Act 1995

Amendments to the above Act came into effect in December 2006 giving a disabled person the right to ask a landlord for reasonable adjustments to a property to enable him to enjoy the property and its features as an able- bodied person could. However, it should be noted that such adjustments are temporary and can be reinstated at the end of the tenancy, ie. changes to wall colour, provision of a portable wheelchair ramp, changes to door handles, doorbells and taps. Such reasonable adjustments are at the landlords expense.All tenancy deposits must be protected in a government authorised tenancy deposit scheme This law applies to all tenancies that are Assured Shorthold Tenancies but does not apply to non housing act tenancies (company lets or contracts with rent above £100,000 per annum).

Energy Performance Certificates

EPC?s give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Why do you need an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC?

If you are selling or renting a property you now need a certificate by law. From October 2008 EPC?s have been required whenever a building is constructed, sold, or rented out. The EPC provides ?A? to ?G? ratings for the building, with ?A? being very energy efficient, and ?G? being less efficient, with the average energy efficiency and CO2 rating now being ?D?.

What can we learn from an EPC?

Information on your home?s energy use and CO2 emissions, as well as a recommendation report with suggestions to help reduce energy use and CO2 emissions.

What does an EPC tell us?

EPC's provide a detailed recommendation report showing what you could do to help reduce the amount of energy you use and your property?s CO2 emissions. For example the report lists:

Suggested improvements: for example fitting/increasing loft insulation to a minimum of 300mm.

For possible costs savings per year(£); for example £250 to £100 per year, typically saving £150 per year.

How the recommendations would change the energy and CO2 emission rating of the property: from a rating of ?E? to an increased rating of ?B?.

There is no obligation for you to act on the recommendations in the final report. However, if you decide to do so, it could make your property increasingly more attractive for sale or rent by making the property more energy efficient. It is also worth remembering that the property you may be buying or renting will also have an EPC, and the report will detail how you could increase the efficiency of your new home, and most importantly save you money.

Introduction Only Service

Rental Assessment

A free rental assessment will be provided with quoted rents, exclusive of all domestic services and council tax.

Once a market rent has been agreed, Samuel King Lettings will circulate property details by means of a comprehensive marketing campaign in Local and London wide media, and all major internet search engines, e.g. rightmove, zoopla, to name a few. We also contact all suitable tenants currently on our waiting list and regularly circulate property details to local Hospitals, Universities and our Corporate Client List. Your property will also appear on our website


Samuel King Lettings accompany all applicants to your property and it is advisable to supply a spare set of keys to the property to allow us to gain access as and when required to ensure a fast and efficient service. if your property currently has tenants, we will accompany viewings and contact your current tenants to arrange access for viewings.


The most crucial element to smooth tenancy is finding the correct tenant. Samuel King will only deal with tenants that comply to the requirements as in our tenant section. All tenants are vetted by Samuel King and an independent referencing agency.

If the references have come back and we do not consider the Tenant to be suitable, then we will look to find an alternative Tenant. If the Landlord wishes to meet the Tenant, this can be arranged by prior appointment at the property or in our offices.

To Summarise
  • Find and qualify a tenant.
  • Draw up a tenancy.
  • Arrange a form a payment to yourself.
  • Collect the first months rent and deposit.
  • Renewal of tenancy agreement subject to a minimum charge. (please enquire)*
  • Signing the tenancy on your behalf
  • Right To Rent Checks for all adults

Rent Collection Service

This service has all the benefits of our Introduction Only Service but also provides a fully inclusive and comprehensive Rent Collection Service.

Rent Collections

Rents are received by Samuel King Lettings where possible by standing order and are sent to you or deposited at a pre-arranged bank account after the rent has cleared. Whilst every effort will be made by Samuel King Lettings to collect the rent and ensure that the tenancy agreement is adhered to, the Landlord will be responsible to initiate and settle costs of any legal action recommended by Samuel King Lettings should this prove necessary.

Full Management Service

This is our most comprehensive and popular service and includes the following.
  • Find and qualify a tenant.
  • Draw up a tenancy.
  • Arrange a form a payment to yourself.
  • Collect the first months rent and deposit.
  • Liaise with all parties and manage effectively and swiftly with regards to any required works using our contractor or the landlords who must be certified.
  • Arranging safety checks if required
  • Carry out works if required. We offer free quotes first and you will (if not an emergency we will of course try to contact you first) be made aware of the cost prior to works being carried out.
  • Providing rental invoices
  • Serving a Section 21
  • Advising the landlord of breaches of the tenancy as we become aware.
  • Supervising the return of the deposit if required.
  • Inventories please enquire.
  • Placing the deposit into the DPS scheme if required. We use the custodial scheme.
  • Signing the tenancy on your behalf
  • Right To Rent Checks for all adults
Following acceptable references for all the tenants moving into your property, they will be required to pay one calendar months rent in advance, and one calendar months rent as a dilapidation deposit. We will then arrange and coordinate the tenants occupation of the property. Unless otherwise negotiated with the Landlord on Introduction only basis, Samuel King Lettings involvement will cease bar* following the tenants taking possession of the property. The Landlord will be responsible for all collection of rent, serving notices, maintenance requirements, the arrangement of annual safety certificates, and their own tax liability if moving overseas.

Landlord's Consent

It is essential that the Landlord obtains the necessary consents where applicable. For example: from the bank, building society or head lessor. This should be done prior to letting the property to avoid any delay, and a copy to be held by Samuel King Estate Agents on file.

Marketing Your Property

Once instructed your property will be marketed through the most popular property portals including Rightmove and Zoopla, to name a few. We also advertise in the local newspapers and your property will feature on our website and in our offices.


We cannot stress highly enough the importance of having a Professional Inventory carried out prior to letting out your property.

This is important, irrespective of whatever service you choose, and even if you dont have anything other than carpets in your property.

You will be aware that all deposits now have to be placed in an Approved Deposit Scheme, but is has become more and more evident, that these schemes nearly always award in favour of the Tenant if there was no Inventory taken at the time the Tenant moved in.

The inventory records the contents and condition of your flat or house at the point when your tenants move in. Because its so important that this is impartial, we recommend a specialist inventory company. They will give you and your tenant a copy of the inventory, and will do another inspection at the end of the tenancy to check that nothings missing or damaged.

We can organise an Inventory on your behalf, the costs are listed in 'Landlord Fees'.

Please give this some careful consideration.

Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement

This is the most common type of Tenancy Agreement and provides the tenant with certain protections under The Housing Act 1988. This agreement should be used where the rent is below £100,000 per annum, the tenancy is for a period of six months or more and the tenant is an individual, or group of individuals, rather than a company. The Tenancy Agreement is aimed to protect the Tenant against unscrupulous Landlords, and the Landlord against sitting Tenants. Once the rent has been agreed it will remain at the same level throughout the term of tenancy. The same rule applies with any furniture that the Landlord has agreed to leave, so long as it is mentioned in the inventory. The Landlord is allowed to inspect the property, but only by prior appointment with at least forty-eight hours notice. This is an agreement between the Landlord and the Tenant, which is legally binding and an enforceable document. The terms set out in it are not flexible, and must be strictly adhered to by both parties. Tenant may occupy a property on the day the tenancy commences, and should vacate the day it terminates. The date and the frequency of the rental payments is determined before the tenancy commences and is clearly stipulated within the Tenancy Agreement. The agreement will be for a minimum of six or twelve months, or for a period agreed by both parties. If, once the original term has ended, a renewal is required by the Landlord, then further agreements are drawn up. Alternatively, a Memorandum of Agreement may be entered into by both parties, on statutory periodic tenancy. The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement will be signed by the Landlord prior to the commencement of the tenancy, and signed by the Tenant just prior to moving in. At this time the Tenancy Agreement will be dated, and therefore will be become legally binding for both parties. At this time, the first months rent and the dilapidations deposit will be paid. If an inventory is supplied, this will be checked and signed by the Tenant on the day of move in. Thereafter a copy will be forwarded to the Landlord. The Landlord will need to check if there are any adjustments, and ensure they are happy with the details contained within the inventory. By simply paying your rent and deposit and subsequently moving into the property means that you have entered into a Tenancy Agreement.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

All tenancy deposits must be protected in a government authorised tenancy deposit scheme This law applies to all tenancies that are Assured Shorthold Tenancies but does not apply to non housing act tenancies (company lets or contracts with rent above £100,000 per annum).

The scheme was designed to ensure that tenant deposits are protected so that;
Tenants get all or part of their deposit back, when they are entitled to it
Any disputes between tenants and landlords or agents will be easier to resolve
Tenants are encouraged to look after the property they are renting

At the commencement of a new tenancy, the tenant pays the deposit to the landlord or agent as usual, who must then ensure its protection. There are three schemes to choose from.

Firstly, a custodial scheme where the money is held by the scheme until the end of the tenancy. The custodial scheme is free to use, the landlord or agent simply puts the deposit into the scheme at the beginning of the tenancy.

The second and third available schemes are insurance based schemes under which, the landlord or agent keeps the deposit and pays a fee to the scheme to insure against any failure on their part to repay money due to the tenant. More information regarding the holding of deposits can be found at At Samuel King we use the customised scheme.


It is the tenants responsibility to pay all utility bills, council tax, water, gas and electric and services provided including the television licence, phones and broadband.

Notice Period

The Tenancy Agreement will specify the term of the contract, which is usually 6 or 12 months. By signing the Tenancy Agreement, both parties are committing to the specific term stated. Failure to abide by this period by either party, will result in the contract being breached. Should either party wish to terminate early, then agreement has to be reached that both parties are happy to do so. Confirmation in writing from both parties is required by the Agent. In these circumstances, Samuel King would recommend a minimum notice period of 2 months.


It is the responsibility of the Landlord to take out buildings insurance. If a property is furnished then the Landlord is also responsible to insure the contents that belong to them. The Tenant should consider insuring their own personal items

Overseas Landlords/Taxation

We do not deal with taxation issues and we recommend you speak to HMRC or a Chartered Account especially if you presently live or will be looking to live abroad. We will need to be provided with a certificate authorising us to pay the rent to you without deductions.

The Rent

The rent needs to be paid on time to the managing agent. Thereafter either a cheque will be issued to the Landlord or the rent will be distributed into the Landlord's bank account via BACS. This procedure takes approximately 2/3 working days.


It is the Landlord's responsibility to ensure that the property is in a clean and habitable condition prior to commencement of the tenancy. It is the Tenant's responsibility to maintain the standard and cleanliness thereafter. Regular Inspection by the Agent if the Tenancy is on a Full Managed basis will be carried out to ensure that the property is being kept clean.


You should advise the Post Office of your change of address and arrange for all mail to be redirected. It is inadvisable to expect your tenant to be responsible for forwarding mail and we unfortunately cannot accept liability for re-direction, nor for lost or returned post

Contents Under Hire Purchase

The Landlord should cover all rental hire payments and hire purchase instalments for the period of the Tenancy, for items that are already at the property will remain at the property for the duration of the Tenancy. The tenant should cover all rental hire payments and hire purchase instalments, for any items that the Landlord may wish to supply for them.

Contractors/Recommended Tradesmen

During the tenancy, we will attend to any minor repairs and obtain estimates for more serious work. We will firstly obtain your permission and authorisation prior to the execution of any work, except in cases of real emergency. It is our usual practice to arrange for any minor repairs to be carried out immediately without consultation with yourself, however, should you require prior notification of minor repairs please let us know at the start of the tenancy. Any repair work that is required as a result of mis-use or negligence by the tenant is payable by the tenant but in all other cases, the landlord is responsible. If you are in receipt of any guarantees or service agreements, it is essential that you supply full details in advance so that the service provider may be contacted for repairs.

Landlords Fees

At Samuel king we try to keep things as translucent and straight forward as possible. All our fees quoted below are inclusive of the services provided.

Discounted fees are available but all properties are treated on their individual basis. Unless a discounted fee is confirmed to a landlord in writing of via an email from ourselves then the rates below will be deemed payable.
  • Introduction Only 12%
  • Introduction with Rent Collection 11%
  • Management 14%
  • Discounted Fee 4%*
  • Statement Showing a 12 month period £100.00.
  • Court Attendance £150.00 per day
  • Wait at a property for a landlords contractor £50ph
  • Arrange for cleaners and check afterwards 15% of the total
  • To arrange for our contractors to carry works out and check afterwards 10% of the total**
  • To arrange for white goods and furniture to be delivered 5% of the total.
  • Inventory £200***
All fees/percentages quoted are inclusive of Vat To ascertain the service/s provided by the fee please refer to the relevant sections above or contact us for further information.
*Discounted fees are available but all properties are treated on their individual basis. Unless a discounted fee is confirmed to a landlord in writing of via an email from ourselves then the rates above will be deemed payable.
** This refers to any works over £500.00

*** This is carried out by a professional Inventory company. All requests for Inventories by Landlords MUST be emailed through to us as confirmation that it is required.

Samuel King are members of The Property Ombudsman Redress scheme for Sales and Lettings and are also registered with the Deposit Protection Service.

To help sell or let your property we advertise on the following property websites:

Email: - Tel: 0207 4746000 - Privacy Policy
Samuel King. Canning Town Office (East London) 143 Barking Road, Canning Town, London, E16 4HQ

Areas Served - Estate Agents Beckton - Estate Agents Bow - Estate Agents Canary Wharf - Estate Agents Canning Town - Estate Agents Custom House - Estate Agents Docklands - Estate Agents East Ham - Estate Agents Forest Gate - Estate Agents Isle Of Dogs - Estate Agents Manor Park - Estate Agents Newham - Estate Agents Plaistow - Estate Agents Poplar - Estate Agents Romford - Estate Agents Silvertown - Estate Agents Stratford - Estate Agents Tower Hamlets -